How To Use Smartphone As A Webcam
Ever since the invention of camera phones, it has been a much easier task to snap pictures and take videos. However, there are a lot of people who still prefer the traditional webcam to phone cameras.
So, what is a webcam, and how can you use your smartphone as a webcam?
A Webcam is a video camera that feeds its output in real-time to a computer over some kind of interfaces such as USB or Wi-Fi. It helps users connect with other people worldwide online to conduct video conferences, teleconferencing, webcasts, etc.
Webcams are also widely used in the broadcasting of events over the Internet for entertainment or educational purposes.
They are now becoming increasingly popular with personal users as well. Even though they come integrated into Laptops these days, there are still many applications where the webcam becomes the sole source of video capturing.
The term “webcam” is a blend of World Wide Web and camera. However, in practice, it acts more like a CCTV camera with all the streaming features given by the Internet Protocol Suite.
Webcams are widely used in different kinds of industry verticals for conducting day-to-day operations smoothly. For example, Webcam-based Remote Patient Monitoring (RPMS) or Online Surgeries are redefining the Healthcare Industry with the help of high-quality webcams.
How Can You Use a Smartphone As A Webcam
Now that you know what a webcam is and its applications in the industry, let us go ahead and use smartphones as webcams.
There is no shortage of Android and iOS apps that can turn your phone into a webcam, but the better way to do it would be by using an online tool. This will help you avoid unnecessary configurations on your device and make sure that it doesn’t run out of battery quickly while streaming video over USB or Wi-Fi.
For this purpose, we have compiled a list of four utilities that can help you use your smartphone or tablet as a webcam for free.
Use Your Smartphone As A Webcam With Android/iOS
Air Webcam (Free) Although it is not the only app available in the Google Play Store and iOS App Store to turn your Android phone into a web camera, it is undoubtedly the best. The app offers a wide range of features that you can use to customize your webcam according to your needs.
Air Webcam lets you adjust the image and video settings such as resolution, frame rate, etc. You can also change the audio source from the mic or speaker and choose the streaming type from display only, mouse cursor, or full screen.
The app also allows you to choose which camera will be used for video capturing. It can use the front or back camera of your device with adjustable camera settings as well.
1) You can record videos and take pictures with the Air Webcam app.
2) It lets you choose the path where recorded files will be saved on your phone.
3) The best thing about this webcam utility is that it supports both iOS and Android devices.
1) It doesn’t support Mac OS X systems which means you cannot use your Android or iOS device as a webcam for Skype on Mac.
2) There is no option to stream directly for Facebook Live.
Use Your Smartphone As A Webcam With DroidCam (Free)
DroidCam is one of the most popular video streaming apps available for both Android and iOS platforms. The app allows users to broadcast live videos on the internet through their webcams or connected cameras in real-time with low latency. DroidCam uses UDP as its primary transport protocol, which makes it fast and reliable at the same time.
DroidCam offers a wide variety of features that you can use to get the best streaming experience.
The app lets you adjust the image and video settings such as frame rate, resolution, etc. It also allows users to change the audio source from the microphone or speakers with adjustable volume levels for both camera and mic.
Apart from that, DroidCam is highly customizable as well. You can set daily broadcast schedules, change the layout of stream channels, and more using the DroidCam Dashboard.
The app also gives you an option to chat with viewers during live streaming sessions and see their comments on screen as they come in real-time.
1) DroidCam supports both iOS and Android platforms.
2) The Dashboard feature lets you configure the app without any hassles.
3) DroidCam allows users to switch between multiple cameras with ease.
4) You can also specify whether you want your video stream to be public or private during the setup process.
1) The streaming quality is not very good on the accessible version of the app.
2) DroidCam lacks features like broadcasting to multiple channels simultaneously and chatting with various viewers at once.
3) It doesn’t support Windows OS, so you cannot use this utility as a webcam on a PC.
Use Your iPhone As A Webcam With EbocCam ($2.99)
EbocCam is a webcam utility for iOS devices that allows users to easily share live videos with their friends, family members, or colleagues. You can use this app to start your streaming channel on the internet with the help of third-party broadcasting services such as Justin TV and Ustream.
Apart from that, you can also use EbocCam to broadcast professional-looking video presentations and promotional clips.
EbocCam offers a wide range of features that allow you to adjust the image and video settings based on your requirements.
You can change the resolution, frame rate, or bitrate, and other options like contrast, brightness and color saturation, etc. The app lets users change the camera source instead of streaming the front or back camera.
1) You can stream videos on multiple channels simultaneously using EbocCam.
2) The app allows users to switch between multiple cameras during live streaming sessions.
3) It also offers support for both portrait and landscape orientations while broadcasting videos.
4) There is no watermark on your video stream, which means you don’t have to buy the Pro version of this app.
1) EbocCam only offers support for iOS devices.
2) The audio quality during live streaming sessions isn’t excellent too.
3) You cannot customize the layout of the broadcast channels with this app.
4) To use EbocCam, your iOS device must be jailbroken.
Hopefully, these webcam apps for iPhone and Android will help you get the best streaming experience on the internet. Whether it is your desktop, laptop, smartphone, or tablet, these, utilities support almost all platforms, so you don’t have to worry about compatibility issues while using them.
Q: Do these webcam apps support Windows OS as well?
A: No, DroidCam and EbocCam do not offer support for non-iOS or Android devices.
Q: How do I configure my webcam on PC using these apps?
A: Both DroidCam and EbocCam provide users with a dashboard that lets them set the streaming options. Just launch the app on your smartphone and click on “Start” to start your streaming channel.
Q: Does DroidCam work with iOS 7 or later?
A: Yes, DroidCam is fully compatible with iOS 7 or higher versions of iPhone/iPad.
Q: How do I get rid of the video watermark on EbocCam?
A: You cannot remove the watermark from your video stream using this app. If you want to get rid of the watermark, you have to buy the Pro version of EbocCam.